Tuesday, August 07, 2007

First Day in SJC (August 17, 2004)

On August 17, it will be three years since we first arrived to live in Brazil. I had been there on at least 9 separate trips since January, 2004, but this was when we moved as a family to stay. I still remember the final preparations at home in the US and the ride to JFK airport where we were still straightening out our visa paperwork in the back of the car. We were all fairly nervous and excited about the big move. When we got there, our driver brought flowers for my wife to welcome her, and I think some candy for Edge. When we arrived at our house in SJC, our real estate agent and our soon-to-be best friends in Brazil where there waiting for us outside. This was the first time my wife and Edge had seen the house, and of course there was a lot of excitement as we toured the house. The real estate agent had stocked the 'fridge and pantry with food (some we had never heard of before). Then, Reinaldo (a local driver who also became our friend) spent the afternoon with us driving us around to the important local spots (Walmart, Carrefour, the malls, McDonalds for Edge). Then, if memory serves, I went to work in the afternoon! It was an exciting day I don't think any of us will forget.

(Your might remember the house from an earlier post: Alemeda dos Acaras, 23

Over the next few weeks, we explored SJC on our own, and started becoming locals.

Here's a video I dug up out of my archive that I made to entice our family and friends to come to Brazil.

Three years ago. I can't believe it. I still think of our time there very often, and miss it. It was a life changing event, and a period of our lives we can never forget.

No comments: